Powered by Ed Buford and Coffee

Office 365 has wrong email address Part 2

In the post:  Office 365 has wrong email address Part 1 I covered the issue of not being able to set the Email Address of a user who is being managed by Active Directory On-Prem. If you  doesn’t have a Hybrid Exchange server to set email attributes you will need to do that manually.  If any of this confuses you please jump back to Part 1 and make sure you get

what’s happening.

There are a number of scenarios of what you’re going to see when you dig into the ProxyAddresses attribute of a user. You may see an X.500 record, you may see something like the UPN that you don’t want to have. For my test domain it would like like this highlighted address:


You can see by the way it is being formatted the address is the users UPN (User Principle Name) as it includes the full domain suffix:
Now I really don’t want to get too deep into the UPN but if you find you need it to get going you can leave a comment and I’ll try to answer it for you.

Getting back to the issue at hand how to change Primary Email Address of the a bunch of users at one time.  Leaving behind UPN and Domain Suffixes I’m just going to Add Primary Email addresses and figure the rest out later. In order to do that for my users I built a CSV file that has two columns The SAM Account Name and the Email Address I want my users to have.  I called this file HerosProxyAddress.csv and placed it in a folder called source on the C:\ drive.  Here’s a screen shot of what my CSV file looks like,


Using these two columns I am able to create a quick PowerShell script to add the email address of each of the users.

Import-module ActiveDirectory $Users = Import-Csv -Path "C:\source\HerosProxyAddress.csv" foreach ($User in $Users) { $ProxyAddress = "SMTP:" + $user.'EmailAddress' Set-ADUser -identity $User.'sAMAccountName' -Add @{ProxyAddresses = $ProxyAddress} }

Copy this code into Notepad and save it with a .ps1 extension.  I saved mine as ChangeProxyAddress.ps1

Now on the domain controller I opened PowerShell as the Administrator and navigate to the place where I saved my PowerShell script.  Then  type:  .\ChangeProxyAddress.ps1

Before you try this on a lot of users I’d encourage you to test this on a couple of test users to make certain it works correctly for you.

Once you change the user attributes in Active Directory you’ll need to go to your DirSync server and load the DirSync PowerShell module. Now run the Start-OnlineCoexistenceSync with the –FullSync to make sure you get the attributes pushed out to the Cloud.

There is a lot more to talk about on this topic and there are a couple other ways we could tackle this script and at least one more script to write to Solve adding one user at a time.
So be on the lookout for Part 3.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *